Sunday, December 16, 2012

Top 5 reference books on my shelf

Top 5 reference books in my culinary library:

#1 on cooking by Harold McGee
#2 salted by Mark Bitterman
#3 sauces by James Peterson
#4 herbs and spices by Jill Norman
#5 Larousse Gastronomique a world culinary encyclopedia

I have found these to be my most referred to books in my kitchen. They range in price but are excellent for any heavy duty cook. The only one of these to be mandatory reading from my culinary school was (of course) On Cooking by the great Harold Mc Gee. But I do wish that. There had been more reference books. I love them. For example herbs and spices is a DK book. Full of beautiful color photos, this book has just about every herb and spice one might need. and few you probably never will. If you do not know this Salted was written by a local from Portland Mark Bitterman. Mark and his wife own a small shop called The Meadows it is a salt, chocolate, bitters, wine, and flower shop in the NE on Mississippi ave. If you have not made it up there yet I highly recommend it. It is like a chapel of salt with high walls of little jars, and best of all you can try all there salt and bitters. It's fuckin awesome. #3 and #5 are staples of any culinary school graduate I should have to explain why they are on the list and if for some reason you do not have either go get them both and be a happier and more educated cook forever more.

Till next time,
God speed spaceman
Falcon Archer

No comments:

Post a Comment