Wednesday, December 19, 2012

My love for two men

I want to talk about foie gras.

Please try not to judge me, I come to you as a simple omnivore.
Eating meat and loving life.
The first time I had this umami, piece of heavenly deliciousness I was in France in a small town named Paris. I was very young only 13 and I had the most amazing experience discovering France for a months and a half. Unfortunately I was suffering from an underdeveloped pallet and I did not appreciate all the wonders that is French cuisine. But later, I became obsessed with the stuff. It is sooooo good. I will eat it day and night. I recently discovered salt cured foie and oh man was that like a little piece of heaven. They serve it at my favorite deli in Seattle, Dots Delicatessen. A full overview of my favorite spot ever will appear in a later entry.
My rejuvenation in the world of the forbidden food came after watching a TED talk with a NY chef who goes by the name of  Dan Barber. He is not only a James Beard award winning chef but a lover of foie and and a very funny man. in his TED talk he focuses on a man in Spain. The foie god Edward Sousa who makes humane foie gras.

Now before you watch i have a few words to say about animal cruelty:
I believe that PETA is a good thing. There are more animals that need a voice then not. But I do not think that banning foie is the answer. I believe that like many systems it just needs to be changed. Revolutionized, for modern times. I believe that by taking such a black and white stand on an issue that is very grey and has a proven solution that PETA is shooting itself in the foot.

Take a look at this TED talk and tell me what you think. But I warn you, you might fall in love with two men at the end of the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment