Thursday, December 13, 2012

Tools in the kitchen part one


I have in my recent years as a foodie and culinary student realized that i have a serious problem with useless kitchen gadgets. So I threw out all the things that I deemed as "useless objects" in my kitchen : cheese slicer, butter knives, that thing that only cuts apples for children, etc. as I was about to throw out the forks my (wonderful, handsome, and VERY "western") boyfriend came home and for some reason freaked the fuck out. Apparently he "needs" all of these useless tools......I do not. We got into a very funny argument about the usefulness of the "fork" and the "butter knife" both of which i deemed unnecessary because they only had ONE function. fork = shovel.

I feel that we are too refined as a species to be eating with shovels. We are no longer cave men or peasants; In fact even peasants in the poorest parts of the eastern world have a more gracious way of eating than Americans. We need to be using chopsticks. A refined and precise tool. For the modern man, and women.

The chopstick is the second most useful tool in a kitchen besides the knife. It was invented in 1766 BCE in china and has spread throughout the Asian world. Some westerners do not have the "skills" to use this finely tuned, and superior tool. However if you take the time to learn to use them you may never go back to the fork (or mouth shovel as i call it). I must admit that ever since I discovered the chopstick my life has never been the same. This sexy, sleek, and powerful tool is like little tongs and we all know that tongs are by far the best line cook tool EVER. So I would like to encourage all of you western type bipeds to start using ONLY chopsticks for a week and see what a world with out the mouth shovel is like.

I CHALLENGE YOU:

There are many choices so pick one of the following. my personal; favorite and household staple is the "heavy metal" Korean.

Here are several different types of chopsticks (there are many more):


the "fatty" Chinese (plastic or porcelain):



the "skinny" wooden Japanese:


the "heavy metal" Korean (and spoon):


the "westerner" chopstick



the "shorty" for children:


and we must not forget the disposable chopstick:




so remember foodies........DOWN WITH THE FORK!
till next time,
god speed spaceman
-falcon archer

No comments:

Post a Comment